Need assistance? Contact Brenda Peterson.
Looking for journal articles? Start here:
- FIAF International Index to Film Periodicals
- Film and Television Literature Index
- Film Literature Index 1976-2001
- MLA International Bibliography
- International Index to the Performing Arts
- Academic Search Complete
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science)
Other Reference Tools:
Selected Online Resources
Schirmer encyclopedia of film / Barry Keith Grant, editor in chief.
200 essays provide a comprehensive overview of film history and theory. Each entry includes a list of the main works on the topic.
Gale Literary Databases
Although focused on literature, this resource also includes biographical and critical essays on screenwriters, theorists, and other literary figures relevant to film. Includes fulltext of titles: Contemporary Authors, Contemporary Literary Criticism and Dictionary of Literary Biography.
Cinema Studies: The Key Concepts
Critical dictionary of film and television theory edited by Roberta E. Pearson and Philip Simpson.
American Film Institute Catalog
The AFI Catalog, the premier, authoritative resource of American film information covers the history of American cinema comprehensively from 1893 to 1974, with records for selected major films from 1975-2009. New records are added each year by the AFI's editorial team.
Selected Reference Books
The following selected titles are located on the 2nd floor (one floor below the entrance level) in the Koerner Library:
Oxford guide to film studies.
PN1995 O93 1998 Koerner Reference
Comprehensive and authoritative, top international contributors provide an overview of the main disciplinary approaches to film studies, an explanation of the core concepts and methods involved in film analysis, a survey of the major issues and debates in the study of film, and critical discussion of key areas.
The film studies dictionary / Steve Blandford, Barry Keith Grant, Jim Hillier.
PN1993.45 B49 2001 Koerner Reference
International dictionary of films and filmmakers.
PN1993.45 .F555 1997 V.1-4 Koerner Reference
Films by genre: 775 categories, styles, trends, and movements defined, with a filmography for each / by Daniel Lopez.
PN1998 .L63 1993 Koerner Reference
Encyclopedia of the documentary film / Ian Aitken, editor.
PN1995.9 D6 E53 2006 V.1-3 Koerner Reference
Magill's survey of cinema : English language films, second series / edited by Frank N. Magill ; associate editors, Stephen L. Hanson, Patricia King Hanson
PN1993.45 M32 1981 v.1-6 Koerner Reference
Essay-length reviews of roughly 3,000 films.
Film Review Sources:
- National Film Board of Canada
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television/Académie canadienne du cinéma et de la télévision
- Canadian Film Centre/Centre canadien du film.
- Canadian Film Festivals/Festivals canadiens du cinéma.
- Telefilm Canada.
- Film Studies Association of Canada
- National Screen Institute
- Canadian Film and Television Production Association
- American Film Institute
- British Film Institute
- UK Film Council
- British Universities Film & Video Council
- Australian Film Commission
- Australian Film Institute
- FIAF International Federation of Film Archives
- American Society of Cinematographers
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- Society for Cinema & Media Studies
- DOMITOR: An International Association to Promote the Study of Early Cinema
- How to Cite
- Criteria for Evaluating Internet Resources
- Guide to Videos, Films and DVDs
- Film Collection at the UBC Visual Resource Center Library
Film Studies Journals:
The University of British Columbia Library offers a separate listing of film studies journals. You can also search for specific journal titles available in print or electronic format.